Karen Loon has featured in
Fostering Culturally Diverse Leadership in Organisations
Lessons from Those Who Smashed the Bamboo Ceiling
Leveraging academic research and case studies, knowledge as a business leader and diversity practitioner, and personal experience, Karen Loon examines how successful culturally diverse leaders at work resolve the contradictions and tensions of their identities within organisations. What can we learn from those leaders who have thrived and smashed the ‘bamboo ceiling?’ Moreover, are there other factors holding organisational change back?
The book proposes research-based recommendations for aspiring leaders and corporate practitioners whilst revealing the potential inhibitors to progress. Split into three sections, Loon examines current research on identities in multicultural nations and organisations, delves into the career progression of successful Asian-Australian leaders to explore how they negotiate identity in the workplace, and provides a roadmap of actions for business leaders looking to create more inclusive and diverse cultures in their organisations.
Written for both people new to diversity and those keen on new perspectives, the book is well-suited for aspiring leaders at any stage of their careers looking to accelerate their careers, as well as C-Suite, HR and Diversity leads.
Table of Contents
Part I – Laying the Foundations
2. Who Am I? The Influences on Our Identity
3. The Current State of Culturally Diverse Leadership in Organisations
Part II – Lessons from Those Who Smashed the Bamboo Ceiling
4. Familial Ties – How Families Shape Culturally Diverse Leaders
5. Thriving at Work – What Culturally Diverse Leaders Do to Win in the Workplace
6. Navigating the Maze – How Culturally Diverse Leaders Manage Their Journey to Leadership
7. How Organisations Influence Us at Work
8. The Patterns of Life – Why Our Career Experiences Differ
Part III – A Roadmap for Fostering Culturally Diverse Leadership in Organisations
9. For Individuals – A Roadmap to Super-Charge Your Career at Work
10. For Organisations – A Roadmap for Increasing the Cultural Diversity of Your Leadership
11. Linking It Together – The Steps We Must All Take
Shortlisted in the Business Book Awards 2023 awards.
To download a sample chapter, click here.